“What you tellin’ me?”, as my grandson says.
Words are powerful, important and effective. Knowing what to say and when to say it is important. Communication key to kindness. We talk about acts of kindness which are very important but an unkind word can undo severa acts of kindness.
In honor of our theme for this month of kindness–as a way to craft hope–we must tackle the source of much UN-kindness–our mouths.
You kiss your mother with those lips?
I have a confession to make. When I am overtired, frustrated and generally running on empty, I find myself being snarky, negative, and unkind. I know it is time to address the heart issues in myself first. You, too? Here are some ideas.
- Start with speaking kindness to yourself. I stop and listen to what I have been saying to myself or what I have been listening to.
- Lead your heart with kind words. I can use the power of words to guide the direction of my heart and fill my own tank.
- Act kind even when you don’t feel like it. I can be intentional to craft and create the life and atmosphere I live in.
The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. Luke 6:45
We all have heard them and said them…words that are bitter to the taste..
It’s easy to step into the space of tossing negativity, judgement, or gossip but picture something else on your lips instead of sugar…
How about excrement? Gross, for sure, but, definitely, a good example.
An ancient proverb of King Solomon says, “The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat it’s fruit.”
What flavor are we speaking? Fruit or ____?
Gimme some sugar.
If kind words don’t easily pour out of your mouth here are some ideas…
This post gives you an idea on 10 things to say to someone which is nothing more than 10 areas that can be talked about. Make best use of them as per the situation and you would find the real difference. Yes, people love to talk about themselves and nothing compares if something nice is being said to them. Let’s start with each one of them
1) Intelligence- Appreciate their intelligence or their achievements. It is always nice to talk about problems they have solved, work they have done, or the recognition that they have got. That presentation was wonderful, Your writing excites me, That point just made my day are some of the examples of nice things to say to someone and appreciate their intelligence.
2) Looks- Call it flirting or appreciation of beauty but appreciating looks or saying nice things about it makes a real impact. People are hungry for this kind of appreciation and if you deliver it nicely, depending upon situation, you wont need to do more hard work after that. You look beautiful, You have beautiful voice etc. are some of examples. At same time commenting about someone’s body parts is not decent at all.
3) Dress or Accessories- The appreciation of dress, perfume, bracelet etc or any other accessory that compliments the beauty is another area that can be complimented or. You Smell Great, You have lot of class, You look different etc. are some of the nice things you can say.
4) Possessions– That diamond, beautiful house, car, or displays of luxury are other areas which in itself deserve admiration. The vary fact that a lot of money has been spent on them makes them eligible to be appreciated and recognized. Nice Wheels, Classy House, Beautiful Garden etc. are some of the examples
5) Affiliations- Association to a charity, group, social cause etc. are other areas where you can make person feel really important. Your appreciation of their involvement can make them feel important. You charity is doing nice job, your social cause is very impressive are some of nice things which can be talked about.
6) Recent Engagements- Has the person been involved in something which is away from their normal work. Any win scored in totally unrelated area makes up for a topic on which you can talk nice things. Never knew you play so good, nice to see you play golf etc. are some of things you can say.
7) Interests- Associating someone with things that interests them make a perfect choice. Never seen such a rocking soccer fan, your knowledge of Baseball is just amazing are perfect words to say to someone who live, eat, dream and breathe the things that they like.
8) Environment– People do put a lot of effort on environment when they are host. Appreciating the effort and saying nice things about little details you can notice does great work. The party concept is amazing, the finer details you have put look fabulous etc are some of things you can say to the person.
9) Family- Appreciating wife, kids and the way person take care of his family can make nice conversation. People are fond of their family especially kids and at times it is the right chord to touch. Your daughter was amazing in the play, your son matches your caliber are some of examples which you can talk about.
10) Extending Help- Offering or extending help can be a great initiator for a conversation and gives you the required time to carry the conversation further. Don’t hesitate to offer help and offer more often. Delicious Food- Can I help you in something, You look tired let me do it for you etc. are some of nice things to say to someone.
The above being the primary areas, there can be more and you can use them as the situation might demand. Being nice is about giving respect and saying words that make someone look wonderful inside...
Sometimes silence is kind.
There are situations and people that make it extremely difficult to say kind words–I understand so let me share with you what my Dad used to say to us: If you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all. Sometimes silence is kind.
Kind words are like honey. Sweet to the soul and healthy to the body.
Eating healthy food is a hot topic. Caring for our bodies with diet and exercise is a billion-dollar business but how about investing in the health of our souls and bodies by being generous and liberal with our KIND words.
If you are in doubt, I challenge you to try it for the rest of the month.
- Carry your sugar packet as a reminder.
- Start your day with a healthy dose of kind words to yourself.
- Do and say at least one kind deed and word a day.
Heidi Mull, putting sugar on my lips ; killin’em with kindness.